On December 5, 2019, Law No. 8,643/2019 was published, which amends provisions of Laws No. 4,056/2002 and 4,962/2002 related to the Fund for Combating Poverty and Social Inequalities ("FECP").
A few changes worth noting:
- FECP is now authorized to be in force until December 31, 2023, by means of the amendment of the main section of article 1 of Law No. 4,056/2002;
- Transactions with power consumption from 300 to 450 or above 450 kilowatt-hours per month (as provided for in sub-items "b" and "c," respectively, of item VI of article 14 of Law No. 2657/97) or the provision of communication services (provided for in item VIII of the same article) are subject to having 2% added to the ICMS rate, in addition to the regular 2% already levied by virtue of item I of article 2 of Law No. 4,056/2002. These changes will become effective after 90 days from the new law's publication;
- Personnel expenditures on actions using FECP resources are limited to 50% of the Fund's estimated total revenue;
- The situations in which the State Executive Power is authorized to allocate the revenues of the Fund, provided for in art. 3 of Law No. 4,056/2002, were extended; and
- Article 7-A was added to Law No. 4,056/2002, stating that the minimum percentages of FECP allocations must be established annually in the Budget Guidelines Law ("LDO").
Visit us at Tauil & Chequer
Founded in 2001, Tauil & Chequer Advogados is a full service law firm with approximately 90 lawyers and offices in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Vitória. T&C represents local and international businesses on their domestic and cross-border activities and offers clients the full range of legal services including: corporate and M&A; debt and equity capital markets; banking and finance; employment and benefits; environmental; intellectual property; litigation and dispute resolution; restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency; tax; and real estate. The firm has a particularly strong and longstanding presence in the energy, oil and gas and infrastructure industries as well as with pension and investment funds. In December 2009, T&C entered into an agreement to operate in association with Mayer Brown LLP and become "Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown LLP."
© Copyright 2019. Tauil & Chequer Advogados, a Brazilian law partnership with which Mayer Brown is associated. All rights reserved.
This article provides information and comments on legal issues and developments of interest. The foregoing is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject matter covered and is not intended to provide legal advice. Readers should seek specific legal advice before taking any action with respect to the matters discussed herein.