- Czech Republic*
- The Netherlands8
*agreements ratified by Ukraine
On the basis that provisions of international agreements override domestic law, where domestic legislation is less favourable, treaties for investment protection may be issued by investors to ensure their rights are secured.
Guarantees specified under investment protection agreements may be summerised as follows:
- non-discrimination against foreign investors;
- free transfer of payments in hard currency including repatriation of profits, salaries, interest, royalties, dividends etc. relating to investments;
- assurance against nationalisation of foreign investments;
- adequate compensation for loss of foreign investors' property due to civil unrest, military conflicts, coup d'etat, rebellion, plot, confiscation etc.;
- in the event of any dispute arising with the host country authority, foreign investors may elect to apply to the International Arbitration Committee for settlement of the issue in accordance with the provision of international law.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.
For further information contact Vladimir Didenko on +(380) 44 244 5478/9 or enter a text search 'Coopers & Lybrand' and 'Business Monitor'.