On July 14, 2020, the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines issued a news release regarding the Ontario government's plans, pursuant to its commitment under Bill 87, Fixing the Hydro Mess Act, 2019, on restructuring the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) to improve energy sector regulation, achieve greater efficiencies, reduce regulatory burden and enhance transparency and accountability for the benefit of Ontario ratepayers.
Once the new governance structure comes into effect upon proclamation of the amendments under Schedule 2 of the Fixing the Hydro Mess Act, 2019 in fall 2020, it would consist of the following changes:
- Susanna Zagar(Chief Executive Officer) – Previous chief strategy, analytics & people officer at Workplace Safety and Insurance Board.
- Lynne Anderson(Chief Commissioner) – Former OEB board member. Previous chief regulatory affairs and government relations officer at Hydro Ottawa.
- John Knubley(Board of Directors) - Current president of InnovAction Advisory Services Inc. and a former Deputy Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.
- Gerald Moncrief(Board of Directors) - Previous owner and president/vice president of Moncrief Construction Limited.
- Glenn O'Farrell(Board of Directors) - Currently the CEO at the Ombudservice for Life & Health Insurance. Previous CEO at Groupe Média TFO, Canadian Association of Broadcasters and Global Television Network Québec.
- Marie Oswald(Board of Directors) - Previous director and chair of the board at Oakville Enterprises Corporation and Oakville Hydro Electricity Distribution Inc.
- Allison Duff(Commissioner) - Former OEB board member with previous experience as a business consultant.
Richard Dicerni was previously appointed as chair of the OEB under the new governance structure and the appointment was approved by the Lieutenant Governor in Council on February 20, 2020.
Current OEB Board Members
- Current OEB board members who have been reappointed will become commissioners.
- As further guidance, the Minister of Energy, Northern Development and Mines will provide the OEB with a mandate letter setting out the government's vision for a modernized OEB.
Originally published 15 July, 2020
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.