The President of Uzbekistan, Shavkat Mirziyoyev, signed the resolution "On measures to create favorable conditions for labor activity in the territory of the Republic of Uzbekistan of qualified specialists from foreign countries" on November 7, 2018.
From December 1, 2018, for employers, the requirement to obtain (extend) permits to attract highly qualified and qualified foreign specialists to Uzbekistan was abolished. In order to work in Uzbekistan, it is enough for such workers to have confirmation of their right to work. In addition, part-time work (allowed at the main place of work (internal part-time) or in another organization (external part-time job)) for them is allowed even without receiving confirmation.
At the same time, the country retains a unified procedure for obtaining (issuing) confirmation of the right to work in the country for foreign citizens.
The validity of issued confirmations for highly qualified and qualified foreign specialists is up to three years at the request of the applicant from the date of their issuance, with the possibility of an unlimited number of renewals (previously this was for one year, with the right of a single renewal.).
Highly qualified and qualified foreign specialists will pay lower rates for registration and issuance (renewal) of confirmations - 1 and 2 minimum wage (MW), respectively, instead of the current 10 MW.
Moreover, from January 1, 2019, highly qualified specialists will be charged with a personal income tax for 50 percent of the established rate.
The following categories of specialists are recognized as highly qualified and qualified in the framework of the adopted act:
|Highly qualified specialists||Qualified specialists|
Foreign citizens, who:
Foreign citizens, who:
Moreover, in accordance with the resolution:
- From December 1, foreign citizens who have invested in Uzbekistan in the amount of at least 8,500 times the minimum wage (at the time of making investments) in the form of acquiring shares and shares of economic societies, as well as creating a foreign enterprise, have the right to work activities in any position in the organization without going through any authorization procedures.
- For the duration of the labor or civil contract, highly qualified specialists and members of their families can receive a residence permit at will.
- Extension of the validity of work visas issued to highly qualified and qualified specialists is carried out without the need for them to leave the territory of the Republic of Uzbekistan for the duration of an employment or civil law contract, but not more than three years in each case.
- Nostrification of diplomas of the top 1,000 universities in the ranking of internationally recognized organizations according to the list approved by the Ministry of Higher Education is carried out directly (without special tests).
- The Ministry for Development of Information Technologies and Communications, in cooperation with the Ministry of Employment and Labor Relations, was ordered—within a three-month period—to develop a special information portal operating in several international languages (English, German, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, etc.), which will provide information on obtaining a visa, residence permit, registration, tax mechanism and other aspects of labor relations, benefits and preferences for foreign citizens, as well as containing recommendations for finding work and housing.
Dentons is the world's first polycentric global law firm. A top 20 firm on the Acritas 2015 Global Elite Brand Index, the Firm is committed to challenging the status quo in delivering consistent and uncompromising quality and value in new and inventive ways. Driven to provide clients a competitive edge, and connected to the communities where its clients want to do business, Dentons knows that understanding local cultures is crucial to successfully completing a deal, resolving a dispute or solving a business challenge. Now the world's largest law firm, Dentons' global team builds agile, tailored solutions to meet the local, national and global needs of private and public clients of any size in more than 125 locations serving 50-plus countries. www.dentons.com.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.