The Independent Authority of Public Revenue issued the circular
POL. 1028/22.2.2017 providing clarification on
IPT exemptions and the treatment of cancelation insurance contracts
According to the provisions of the decision, the following insurance premiums are exempted from Insurance Premium Tax:
- Insurance contracts for ships and aircrafts of article 3 of the Law 551/1970
- Life insurance policies, provided that the duration of these policies are at least 10 years
- Insurance contracts taken out by foreign and domestic shipping companies governed by the Law 27/1975
The above decision further clarifies that:
- The applicable IPT rate on fire risk premiums for tobacco leaves remains at 15%
- In case of cancellation of insurance policies, at any time after the payment of the tax, no reason for refund exists and therefore the IPT won't be returned.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.