The Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) is enshrined in bilateral and multilateral treaties which allow patent applicants to accelerate the patentability examination in industrial property offices of the member countries. All patent applications submitted in Colombia, either directly, through the Paris Convention or through PCT national phase, have the possibility to benefit from the PPH procedure, accelerating the obtention of the patent.
In Colombia, the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce (Patent Office) has agreed five PPH with the following patent offices: " United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Spanish Patent and Trademark Office (OEPM)
- Japanese Patent Office (JPO)
- Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO)
- European Patent Office (EPO)
In addition, three PPH have been agreed in a multilateral manner, namely:
- Within the member countries of the Pacific Alliance (Mexico, Peru, Colombia and Chile)
- Within PROSUR member countries (Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay)
- Within member countries of the PPH initiative (Australia, Austria, Canada, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, New Zealand, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Colombia, Sweden, United Kingdom and United States)
Dentons is the world's first polycentric global law firm. A top 20 firm on the Acritas 2015 Global Elite Brand Index, the Firm is committed to challenging the status quo in delivering consistent and uncompromising quality and value in new and inventive ways. Driven to provide clients a competitive edge, and connected to the communities where its clients want to do business, Dentons knows that understanding local cultures is crucial to successfully completing a deal, resolving a dispute or solving a business challenge. Now the world's largest law firm, Dentons' global team builds agile, tailored solutions to meet the local, national and global needs of private and public clients of any size in more than 125 locations serving 50-plus countries. www.dentons.com.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.