Please see our Power experience in Africa.
It has a team of experts with long history in Africa both on English law and OHADA topics. It has the ability to put together a small and efficient deal team to think about tailor-made and cost-effective solutions for their clients.
Legal 500, Emerging Markets, 2020
Recognised for... expertise in energy-related disputes and novel IPP Mandates.
Chambers Global, Projects & Energy, Africa-wide, 2020
- Advised the Government of the Democratic Republic of Congo in relation to the technical, legal and financial structuring for the design, financing, construction and operation of a 4,800 MW hydro-electric power project (Project Inga 3).*
- Advised ENEO, the national utility of Cameroon, in connection with the negotiation of a power purchase agreement with a SPV having EDF, the IFC, Africa 50 and the State of Cameroon as shareholders and in charge of the development and financing of a 1.2b$ hydroelectric power generation facility with an installed capacity of 420 MW (Project Nachtigal).*
- Advised the Government of Mali and EDM S.A. in connection with the design, financing, construction, operation and maintenance of a 42 MW hydroelectric project sponsored by Eranove in Kénié. The Kénié hydroelectric project was shortlisted as "Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Deal of the Year" for the 2015 African Legal Awards.*
- Advised Constructora Quebec, a Brazilian construction company, in a project to build a hydroelectric plant in South Africa.*
- Advising AMEA Power on the development and financing of a 60 MW solar power plant in the Republic of Chad.
- Advising AMEA Power on the development and financing of a 50 MW solar power plant in Mali.
- Advising the MCA-Benin II (an entity of the U.S.based Millennium Challenge Corporation), the Government of Benin and the SBEE (Beninese electricity distribution company) for the development of an Independent Power Project (IPP) legal and institutional framework, standard form typical contracts (including concession and PPA) and a competitive bidding process in Benin as well as the expected structuring of several solar PV IPP transactions resulting therefrom.
- Advising Générale du Solaire on the development of legal schemes for the offering of various technical solutions dedicated to the self-consumption/off-grid sector in Senegal.
- Advising Générale du Solaire on the development and expected financing of a 20 MW solar PV project in N'Gaoundéré, Cameroon.
- Advising a sponsor on the development and expected financing of a 14 MW solar PV project in Dakhla, Morocco.
- Advising a sponsor on the development and expected financing of a 50 MW solar PV project in Sokodé, Togo.
- Advising a sponsor on the development and expected financing of a 40 MW solar PV project in Meru county, Kenya.
- Advising a sponsor on the development and expected financing of a 40 MW solar PV project in Mali.
- Advising a sponsor on the development and expected financing of a 30 MW solar PV project in Mamou, Guinea.
- Advised Africa50 in the context of its co-investment in the 300 MW Scatec Solar PV project in Egypt.
- Advised Générale du Solaire on its bid for the development of a 37 MW solar project in Mariental, Namibia.
- Advised Actis in connection with its bid for the development of several solar projects to be located in 7 sites/4 regions of Cameroon for a total installed capacity of 31 MW.*
- Advised the Government of Mali and EDM S.A. in connection with the design, financing, construction, operation and maintenance of a 33 MW solar PV project sponsored by Scatec Solar and IFC InfraVentures in Segou, Mali.*
- Advised Sundevinvest on the acquisition of a Chadian-registered SPV for the development of a 40 MW solar PV project to be located in N'Djamena in Chad.*
- Advised Tenergie, as sponsor, in connection with the development of a 50 MW solar PV project in Senegal.*
- Advised Solar Era on the development of a 5 MW multi-site solar electricity generation plant in Sierra Leone. This was one of the first renewable project financed power plants in the country.*
- Currently advising the sponsor on the development of a two phase 36 MW wind farm IPP in Ghana which is in the early stages of development.
- Advised Eco Delta, as sponsor, in connection with the development and financing of a 25.2 MW wind farm in Lomé, Togo (aborted).*
- Advised French-listed utility company EDF, as sponsor, in connection with the design, financing, construction and operation of a 46 MW biomass power plant located in Côte d'Ivoire, in partnership with locally incorporated agro-industrial company, SIFCA.*
- Advised AGN Bio, a major Brazilian bioenergy company, on a project to develop biomass and on installing a bioenergy plant in Mozambique.
- Advised SADA on a project to develop biomass and to install a bioenergy plant in Mozambique.*
- Advised Vale in connection with major coal, power and infrastructure project in Mozambique. We negotiated the concession and the shareholder EPC, PPA and coal supply agreements.
- Advised Amu Power on the project finance term sheets with ICBC for the construction and development of a 900 MW coal-fired IPP in Lamu, Kenya.*
- Advised French-listed construction company Eiffage, as EPC contractor, for the construction of a $1b power project in French New Caledonia comprising in a coal-fired power plant consisting of 2 units of 90 MW dedicated to the power needs of the nickel processing facility of Société le Nickel, a subsidiary of the French listed metallurgical group ERAMET.*
- Currently advising the Presidency of the Republic of Benin in connection with the design, financing, construction, operation and maintenance of a 120 MW dual fuel/ HFO and gas-fired power plant in Maria Gléta near Cotonou.
- Advised Actis, one of the largest and most active private equity firms operating in Africa, in its US$220 million purchase of a 56 percent stake in Cameroon's national integrated power utility, Société Nationale d'Electricité (SONEL) (now ENEO), and in the two IPPs of Kribi and Dibamba, from AES Corporation.*
- Advised ENEO in connection with the negotiation of a set of agreements with Altaaga for the Operation and Maintenance and Rental of 50 MW Power Generation Facilities in Cameroon.*
- Advised the Government of Cameroon, in the context of the implementation of a power emergency program comprising the development of 6 gas-fired power plants totaling 60 MW under a Tolling arrangement.*
- Advised the lead sponsor in the development of a 1,200 MW gas-fired IPP in Mozambique, including the negotiation of the power purchase agreement with Eskom of South Africa and coordinating with local Mozambique counsel.*
- Advised the South African National Treasury, South African Department of Energy and Development Bank of South Africa on the country's upcoming base and mid-load IPP program (including 2.5 GWs of gas-fired IPPs and 2.5 GWs of coal-fired IPPs and cogeneration).*
- Advised Gulf Power on the IFC/Standard Bank of South Africa project financing for the development and operation of a 84 MW heavy fuel oil-fired IPP at Athi River, Kenya.*
- Advising the Republic of Benin on the development of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) import floating terminal and the supply of up to 0,5 million tonnes per annum of regasified LNG to the country.
- Advised Latitude Capital on the initial stages of the joint acquisition together with the IFC and Africa 50 of two HFO-fired plants in Senegal and one in Kenya (aborted).
- Advised ContourGlobal, in connection with the acquisition of Senegalese based project company GTI; and then advising GTI in connection with the refurbishment of the HFOfired thermal power plant located in Cap-des-Biches in Senegal increasing its production capacity to 53 MW with a further optional 32 MW additional capacity.*
- Advised Endeavor Energy Holdings LLC, on the initial stages of the development of a 24 MW + 26 MW HFO power plant project in Conakry, Guinea.*
- Advised ContourGlobal, on the negotiations with Wärtsilä, as EPC Contractor, for the gas conversion of the 100 MW tri-fuel power project in Lomé, Togo.*
Please see our Power experience in Africa.
Visit us at mayerbrown.com
Mayer Brown is a global legal services provider comprising legal practices that are separate entities (the "Mayer Brown Practices"). The Mayer Brown Practices are: Mayer Brown LLP and Mayer Brown Europe – Brussels LLP, both limited liability partnerships established in Illinois USA; Mayer Brown International LLP, a limited liability partnership incorporated in England and Wales (authorized and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and registered in England and Wales number OC 303359); Mayer Brown, a SELAS established in France; Mayer Brown JSM, a Hong Kong partnership and its associated entities in Asia; and Tauil & Chequer Advogados, a Brazilian law partnership with which Mayer Brown is associated. "Mayer Brown" and the Mayer Brown logo are the trademarks of the Mayer Brown Practices in their respective jurisdictions.
© Copyright 2019. The Mayer Brown Practices. All rights reserved.
This Mayer Brown article provides information and comments on legal issues and developments of interest. The foregoing is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject matter covered and is not intended to provide legal advice. Readers should seek specific legal advice before taking any action with respect to the matters discussed herein.