On July 10, 2018, the new Regulatory Agenda of the National Agency for Waterway Transportation ("ANTAQ") was published for the 2018-2019 biennium.
The Regulatory Agenda is an instrument for institutional planning whereby ANTAQ presents the main regulatory issues for the biennium to the regulated sector.
Some of the issues on the previous regulatory agenda have been carried over onto the new agenda of ANTAQ. In particular, the regulation of navigation related to offshore construction works, as well as the possibility of chartering of vessels by companies that are not authorized in the form of Brazilian Shipping Companies (EBN). Both of these issues are of great importance to the offshore market.
The selection of the regulatory issues results from an internal analysis by ANTAQ, combined with suggestions presented by the regulated sector.
Among the topics planned for discussion in the next biennium, the following stand out:
- Chartering of maritime support vessels by companies that are not authorized in the form of Brazilian Shipping Companies (EBN);
- Regulation of the activities classified as construction works in maritime support navigation;
- Review of the economic-financial criteria to maintain authorizations in port and maritime support navigation;
- Mapping of the corporate structure of container terminals, solid bulk terminals of mineral and vegetable origin and liquid bulk terminals;
- Regulation of the administrative procedure to resolve conflicts of interest between agents working in the sectors regulated by ANTAQ; and
- Improvement of the anti-trust analysis of the regulated markets.
Visit us at Tauil & Chequer
Founded in 2001, Tauil & Chequer Advogados is a full service law firm with approximately 90 lawyers and offices in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Vitória. T&C represents local and international businesses on their domestic and cross-border activities and offers clients the full range of legal services including: corporate and M&A; debt and equity capital markets; banking and finance; employment and benefits; environmental; intellectual property; litigation and dispute resolution; restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency; tax; and real estate. The firm has a particularly strong and longstanding presence in the energy, oil and gas and infrastructure industries as well as with pension and investment funds. In December 2009, T&C entered into an agreement to operate in association with Mayer Brown LLP and become "Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown LLP."
© Copyright 2018. Tauil & Chequer Advogados, a Brazilian law partnership with which Mayer Brown is associated. All rights reserved.
This article provides information and comments on legal issues and developments of interest. The foregoing is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject matter covered and is not intended to provide legal advice. Readers should seek specific legal advice before taking any action with respect to the matters discussed herein.