Thank you for joining us at Dentons' eighth annual CPD Bootcamp. This one-day program, available through in-person attendance or livestream, was designed exclusively for general counsel, corporate counsel and legal department managers. The comprehensive program addressed critical issues and key topics impacting businesses and in-house counsel.
Presentation materials and video are available below.
Please note: The Law Society of Ontario allows its members to view an archived CPD program/course without a colleague, for up to a maximum of six hours per year. The remainder of your CPD hours must come from other sources (in person, being an articling principal, teaching, etc.).
The tort of unlawful means, in camera proceedings and sealing orders
In this session we examined:
- How the tort of unlawful means has developed since the Supreme Court of Canada redefined the tort in 2014 in the Bram Enterprises case
- The protocol in Ontario for seeking discretionary publication bans or orders excluding the public from hearings in civil cases which became effective on July 1, 2016 and examine the increasing reluctance of Ontario Judges to grant sealing order
- Ethical and professional issues that arise when engaged in an in camera proceeding and when requesting a sealing order
- LSO: 15 minutes of professionalism content and 45 min of substantive content
- LSBC: 15 minutes of Ethics and 45 min of substantive content
- Barreau du Québec: 1 hour CLE
Dentons is the world's first polycentric global law firm. A top 20 firm on the Acritas 2015 Global Elite Brand Index, the Firm is committed to challenging the status quo in delivering consistent and uncompromising quality and value in new and inventive ways. Driven to provide clients a competitive edge, and connected to the communities where its clients want to do business, Dentons knows that understanding local cultures is crucial to successfully completing a deal, resolving a dispute or solving a business challenge. Now the world's largest law firm, Dentons' global team builds agile, tailored solutions to meet the local, national and global needs of private and public clients of any size in more than 125 locations serving 50-plus countries. www.dentons.com
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances. Specific Questions relating to this article should be addressed directly to the author.