Mexico's Ministry of Interior (Secretaria de Gobernación, SEGOB) and National Immigration Institute (NII) (Instituto Nacional de Migración, INM) published new governmental fees for immigration procedures related to foreign nationals and expatriates that took effect January 1, 2019.

On December 21, 2018, the Official Gazette of the Federation (Diario Oficial de la Federación) published the Fifth Resolution of Modifications to the Miscellaneous Tax Rules for fiscal year 2018 and its annex 19, through which article 7.1 establishes the implementation of the corresponding increases of the governmental fees contemplated within the Federal Rights Law (FRL) (Ley Federal de Derechos).

Immigration governmental fees required by the NII for different and specific immigration procedures for foreign nationals and expatriates with temporary or permanent residency in Mexico are considered within the FRL. Therefore, the governmental fees have increased as of January 1, 2019.

Below are the approved amounts within the FRL that were published by the Ministry of Interior and the NII:

Visitor with permission to perform remunerative activities $3,114.00 MXP
Visitor for adoption purposes $3,022.00 MXP
Temporary resident for one year $4,148.00 MXP
Temporary resident for two years $6,215.00 MXP
Temporary resident for three years $7,872.00 MXP
Temporary resident for four years $9,330.00 MXP
Permanent resident $5,056.00 MXP
Residency card replacement $1,277.00 MXP
Modification of immigration status $1,325.00 MXP
Regularization of immigration status $1,325.00 MXP
Immigration status certificate $424.00 MXP
Departure and entrance permit $424.00 MXP
Authorization to perform remunerative activities for students and temporary residents $3,114.00 MXP
Authorization of temporary residency for a minister of religion or belonging to a religious association $982.00 MXP
APEC business travel card $1,372.00 MXP

The Mexico City office of Ogletree Deakins will continue to monitor and report on developments in the immigration laws of Mexico as they occur.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.